Chinese green onion pancakes make a great companion to saucy and spicy meals, they work as appetizers or can be served with cold meats for a full meal.
Everyone in my family loves green onion pancakes. I suspect they could be healthier if made with whole wheat flour (or you could experiment with adding flax seed meal or using gluten-free flour), but since we don’t have these every day, I wouldn’t want to compromise the flavor everyone has come to love. These are simple to make and can be frozen for long storage, as they reheat very well.
Watch my video How to make green onion pancakes to learn how to shape dough into pancakes without spilling the oil. Recipe is below.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 3 green onion stalks
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Chop green onions small and place in bowl.
- Mix water and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large container, mix flour with salted water until it reaches dough consistency.
- Knead for 5-7 minutes.
- Using a roll, spread dough in a pizza-like shape.
- Add green onions, sesame and cooking oils and roll dough into a cigar shape.
- cut the dough into 4 inch pieces. Pinch at the sides so oil does not spill out. Pat and carefully shape into a circle (see video in this post).
- Flatten to your desired width and cook in a frying pan on medium high fire until dough turns crispy and golden. Repeat on the other side.
- Serve immediately with your meals, eat by itself with sauce or freeze for late use.
- Makes approximately 8 pancakes.