Easy herb rubbed roasted chicken
Recipe type: Main
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon each of flaked or ground oregano, basil and parsley
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash/clean chicken and start by rubbing on the salt with your clean-gloved hands. For this recipe I prefer ground salt due to the roasting time.
- Mix the herbs and pepper in a small bowl.
- With a handful of herbs, rub the chicken getting to all parts of it, including under the wings and the thighs.
- Turn the chicken over and repeat the rub.
- Place the chicken on a rack and baking sheet with the breasts down. This will help the juices flow to the breasts and produce a tender, juicy chicken. You are now ready to roast.
- Roast chicken breast down for 45 minutes. Then, turn the chicken breast up, poke holes by the leg joints and bake for another 15 minutes or until skin is nice and crispy.
- Check temperature in chicken breast with a meat thermometer. 180 F or 82 C means chicken is done. Roast longer if needed until fully cooked.
- Serve with pasta, potatoes, rice or vegetables.
Cooking time will be shorter if you are using a convection oven. One chicken feeds up to 6. Left over chicken breasts make great cold chicken sandwiches. Enjoy!