Rice with red quinoa is a delicious side dish that is a breeze to make in a rice cooker. If you do not own one, see my post on how to make stove top rice.
Most of us are familiar with the nutritional properties of quinoa (gluten-free, high fiber, high protein, low glycemic index, etc.) Quinoa is in short, a supergrain. However, when it comes to texture and flavor, it can be an acquired taste, particularly for children and adults with timid palates.
A great way to introduce quinoa in your diet is by mixing it with rice (white or brown). The contrast of color is enticing and the mix of new and familiar textures is a feast to the palate. Serve with greens and your choice of protein for a meal that will not disappoint.
- 1 cup of rice
- ½ cup of red quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 cups of water
- Wash and carefully drain the quinoa and the rice using a fine strainer.
- Mix all the ingredients in the rice cooker and set to cook.
- When rice setting changes to warm, open the lid and stir the rice, mixing well.
- Serve when rice is done (dry and soft).