This wild sockeye salmon soup recipe uses fresh salmon steaks and a touch of cilantro and sesame oil. Easy print recipe included.
On the occasions when I can find wild salmon, I like to make soup with it. It is one of two ways of preparing salmon (besides smoking it) that I find helps the fish retain its delicious fat and flavor.
So the salmon steaks are really the main attraction in this simple soup. The broth will be most flavorful with a touch of garlic and the cilantro at the end will add texture and freshness to this delicious soup. A winner for lunch or dinner!
- 4 wild sockeye salmon steaks
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil
- 8 cups of water
- Crush and chop the garlic.
- Clean and chop the cilantro.
- On a medium to large sauce pan, add the cooking oil and allow to heat on medium high. Add the garlic and the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the salmon steaks and boil them for 5 minutes or until salmon is thoroughly cooked. Add the salt and taste. Adjust as needed.
- Serve each steak on a soup bowl adding the broth, the fresh cilantro and a few drops of sesame oil to each bowl.