This tomato egg scramble includes onions and your choice of herbs. Serve with fruit for a starch-free breakfast, or add your favorite side for a quick lunch or dinner.
Next to cilantro, tomatoes are God’s gift to cooking. Tomatoes will add color, flavor and tenderness to your meat dishes, as well as fluffiness to your eggs. This recipe is low in carbohydrates and great for anyone dieting or looking for a starch-free breakfast.
Herbs are in this recipe for color and flavor balance. Choose among parsley, cilantro or chives… or add them all. I find that parsley gives the eggs a sweeter flavor, which contrasts well with the vinegar in this scramble. Cilantro will add a distinct flavor and chives will give the scramble a combination of textures and a pungent aroma. Go with your taste.
- 3 eggs
- 1 roma tomato or ½ bigger size tomato
- ¼ of a big red onion.
- ½ cup of chopped parsley, chives or cilantro.
- One tablespoon of white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- Chop the tomato into bite size pieces.
- Chop the onion and the herbs as needed.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the oil to a hot frying pan, followed by the onions.
- Stir for a minute until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the tomatoes. If you are using curly parsley, add it at this point. If you don't mind the crunchiness, wait until later.
- Once the tomatoes are starting to "melt", add the salt followed by the vinegar.
- Add the beaten eggs, and stir until eggs are cooked but still fluffy (about one minute).
- Add the chopped chives, cilantro or parsley.
- Serve with your favorite fruit.
Liked this recipe? Click here for more.